A 96-year-old woman is safe after her home caught fire, thanks to two watchful neighbors. According to reports, crews arrived at 33 Via Aspero in Alamo to find the garage, carport and attic engulfed in flames.
The blaze was reported at 5:43 p.m. on Sunday and caused no injury. Randy Harrell and his 22-year-old son, Kyle, jumped their fence and ran next door after seeing flames coming from the front of their neighbor's home.
After encountering a 54-year-old man with a fire extinguisher at the front of the house, the two went to the back door and found the man's mother in the kitchen, which was quickly becoming filled with smoke. Harrell told reporters that he carried the woman, who uses a walker, out of the home and over the fence to his son; he also rescued the family's dog.
Fire Chief Richard Price told reporters that the fire began with embers left in an outdoor plastic trash bin, which were left over from a fire started in the home that morning. The embers also started a fire in the grassland behind the home and spread to a neighboring residence.
Five fire engines, two trucks and an ambulance were called to the scene and extinguished the blaze in one hour.